The following instructions may be helpful when preparing for your upcoming surgery. Please do not hesitate to call if you have any last minute questions. We can be reached at Sarasota Phone Number 941-366-6161 during regular business hours.
You should receive your pre/post-operative prescriptions with this instruction sheet. For your convenience, please have them filled prior to your scheduled surgery.
- Please stop the following medications 7 days before surgery: fish oil, flaxseed, omega 3’s, CoQ-10, Aspirin (if self-prescribed), ibuprofen and other anti-inflammatories, vitamin E, and glucosamine.
- Have prescriptions filled out ahead of your surgical date.
- If antibiotics have been prescribed, start them 24 hours prior to your surgical appointment.
- If you need to take antibiotic premedication (for example if you have had a joint replacement), please take your premedication 1 hour prior to your surgical appointment.
- If you take blood pressure or heart medication in the morning, please take with small amounts of water.
- If you are currently treated with a blood thinner (e.g. coumadin, pradaxa, xarelto, aspirin, plavix), do not stop these medications until instructed by our office.
- Morning of surgical visit, brush and floss thoroughly.
- If being sedated, make sure you have someone with you to drive you home following your visit.
- A large segment of your time has been set aside for your appointment. Notice for cancellation must be no less than 48 hours in advance of your appointment time, otherwise you will be charged for the visit.
- Wear short sleeves, long pants, and socks.
- No smoking day of surgery.
- If you have an inhaler, bring it with you the day of the surgery.
- Please do not apply make-up.
It is the goal of our office to make certain that your visit will be as comfortable and as pleasant as possible.
If you are undergoing IV sedation, do not eat 6-8 hours prior to your procedure.
In order to evaluate your progress and healing, we will see you for post-operative checks usually 1-3 weeks after your procedures. In most cases, after surgery, we will also look forward to seeing you back for a periodontal maintenance cleaning and an examination of tissue maturation about 2-3 months following the surgery.
Please alert the office to any allergies or sensitivities that you might have to antibiotics. You will be prescribed an antibiotic if our doctor determines it to be necessary. Take as directed until gone. It is advisable not to take these medications on an empty stomach, as nausea may result. For women taking birth control pills, be advised that antibiotics may interfere with their effectiveness.
When preparing a post-op menu, please consider some of the following choices:
- Ensure/Slim Fast
- Apple Sauce
- Macaroni & Cheese
- Mashed Potatoes
- Milk Shakes
- Cottage Cheese