Eros Chaves, DMD, MS
Meet Dr. Chaves
Dr. Chaves received his DDS degree from State University of Campinas (UNICAMP) in Brazil in 1977 and later his DMD degree from University of Pittsburgh, School of Dental Medicine in 1999. Dr. Chaves obtained his periodontal specialty training at UNICAMP in 1981 and his certificate in Periodontics as well as his master’s degree at University of Michigan in 1984. Dr. Chaves has held the following positions.
- Senior Research Fellow at The University of Michigan from 1984 to 1986.
- Private Practice in Santos, Brazil from 1986 to 1989.
- Visiting Assistant Professor at University of Texas Health Sciences Center at San Antonio from 1989 to 1991.
- Assistant Professor promoted to Associate Professor with tenure at University of Alabama at Birmingham from 1991 to 1994.
- Associate Professor and Director of Undergraduate Program at University of Texas Houston Dental Branch from 1994 to 1996.
- Associate Professor University of Pittsburgh School of Dental Medicine and Director of Clinical Research Department of Periodontics 1996 to 1999.
- Director of Oral Care at Hill Top Research, West Palm Beach Florida, 1999 to 2001.
- Private practice limited to Periodontics in Juno Beach, Florida from 2001 to 2007 and was an Associate Clinical Periodontist from 2007 to 2009 in Vero Beach, and Port St Lucie, Florida.
- Associate Professor, Chair Department of Periodontics School of Dentistry West Virginia University from 2009 to 2013.
- During his tenure in West Virginia Dr. Chaves also graduated from the School of Business and Economics receiving his MBA in July 2013.
- Professor, Chair and Graduate Program Director, University of Oklahoma Health Sciences Center, Oklahoma City OK from 2013 to July 2015.
- Periodontist, Pinellas Dental Specialties, from August 2015 to 2020.
Dr. Chaves has more than 40 abstracts and peer-reviewed published papers and book chapters. Dr. Chaves has participated in many research projects in academic and private sector. He has lectured in the diagnosis and treatment of Periodontal Diseases including regenerative therapies and dental implants. More recently Dr. Chaves has been lecturing in the following areas.
- Anatomic Periodontal Surgery for Periodontal Cosmetic Dentistry – with and without restorative work.
- The importance of socket preservation for planning and placement of dental implants.
- Dental Implants in the Esthetic Zone for Patients with high esthetic expectations.
- Crown design and contour and its implications in Periimplantitis.
- 3D planning for placement of dental implants – Guided Surgery or Surgical Guide? What is the difference? Guiding for Surgical and Restorative Success!
Dr. Chaves has more than 90 CE courses and presentations in the US and internationally, specifically, Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, Guatemala and Spain.
Dr. Chaves has been married to his wife, Andrea for 18 years and returned to Florida in 2015 to be close to all their sons and daughter.
Interesting facts: Dr. Chaves was born and grew up in Santos, Sao Paulo State, Brazil. He grew up watching the best soccer team (Santos FC) and player (Pele) in the world. Dr. Chaves continued to be around the best in any field for continuing learning and sharing with other professionals and people in general.